What is the VITA Program?VITA is an IRS sponsored, free tax preparation program that is offered to low to moderate income, elderly and disabled members of the community who are not able to afford professional tax filing services. All tax preparers are trained in tax law and are required to be certified by the IRS to prepare tax returns as volunteers.
Become a Volunteer
ENJOY THE PERKS
- Unmatched internship experience
- Enhance your resume
- Gain valuable hands-on tax preparation experience
- Gain exposure to income taxes prior to taking your tax class
- Apply the material learned in your tax class
- Learn skills such as leadership, problem-solving, team-work, and critical thinking that are considered necessary for entry level accounting professionals
- Great networking opportunity
Q: Are all majors eligible to join up? Is there a GPA requirement?
A: Open only to Accounting and Foreign Language Majors. We apologize to those individuals who are interested but will not be able to join because of these restrictions but we can only accommodate these individuals. No GPA requirement.
Q: What is VITA anyway? Will I be paid?
A: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance,VITA, is a free tax preparation program that is sponsored by the IRS. We cater to low income, elderly and disabled members of the community as well as all students and Faculty. This is 100% volunteer work as mandated by the IRS so no cash but as mention above you can greatly see the perks.
Q: Do I need to have any experience with preparing taxes or knowledge of tax code?
A: Absolutely no experience necessary we will train you so be prepared to participate in our training sessions in January. You do not need prior knowledge of the tax code we will give you all the necessary knowledge that is why you MUST apply and participate in our training.